Grand View Hotel in Dalhousie

In 1851, selection was made of the spot and Dr. Clemenger was directed to proceed to the projected site to record the necessary observations on site. Dr. Clemenger submitted whose report in October 1852 and the sanction of the Government of India was given in September 1853. A Committee was then appointed to decide the boundaries of the proposed site and a reduction of Rs.2000 was made in the tribute paid by the Raja of Chamba out of the Rs.12000/- annually paid by him to the British. The Government of India sanctioned this in February 1854, and at the recommendation of Mr. (afterwards Sir Donald) McLeod, the sanitarium was called "Dalhousie". In 1856, Capt. Fagan was employed, under the order of the East India Company, in marking out line of supply and communication for the proposed station. 

In 1866 it was determined that the barracks for the cantonment depot should be built on the Balun Plateau. On 25th July 1867, Dalhousie constituted a Municipality of the first class. 

Grand View Hotel finds a mention in the history of Dalhousie and is one of the oldest Hotels here having been built in early twentieth century. Shri Laxman Das Chadha built it and it is still owned and managed by his family.

Booking Form

Enter the details to below for booking.

How to get there

Activities & Things to do

Recieve a Call